Now that you’ve got your new ink, you want to make sure you take excellent care of it to avoid infection and keep it looking pristine for years to come. Here’s how to care for your new tattoo:
Remove the bandage after 2 to 4 hours. Wash your hands, then wash your tattoo with an antibacterial soap (I prefer Dial Foaming hand soap) using your fingertips. DO NOT use a wash cloth or scrubber! Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. Pat dry with a clean towel or paper towel. Allow your tattoo to air dry another 10 to 20 minutes or longer if it appears to be oozing or moist. When your tattoo is dry, apply a very small amount of healing ointment (I prefer Aquaphor) to coat tattoo for the first 4-5 days (or until peeling starts). If you want to cover the tattoo your first night, you may after ointment is applied, using clean saran wrap and medical tape. Or you could leave it open and wear a clean cotton garment that you don’t mind getting a little excess ink or ointment on (if a garment cannot cover your tattoo, it may get on your sheets if you do not cover). I prefer to let my fresh tattoos breath as much as possible, but recovering the first night is a personal preference. After 4-5 days, gradually switch to an unscented lotion (I like Lubriderm or Jergens) to moisturize your tattoo several times a day as it appears dry. Always make sure your hands are clean when you are treating your tattoo.
- DO NOT pick, scratch, or peel any loose skin or scabs! They will come off when ready naturally, or while gently washing or applying moisturizer.
- DO NOT soak your tattoo in pools, ocean, baths, hot tub, etc. Short showers only until completely healed (approximately 2 to 3 weeks)
- NO direct sunlight until completely healed. Once healed if you cannot prevent exposure to the sun then apply maximum strength sun block (45 spf or higher) to keep your colors looking bright and new!
- BE AWARE that during the first few days of healing the tattoo may seep ink, blood, or lymph which may stain clothing, sheets, or other fabrics.
- For any questions or concerns, feel free to call or stop by.
Thank you for treating yourself to a new tattoo at FIGURE 8 INK STUDIOS.